Dating bridgwater somerset www poysecs com
It was formerly part of the Hundred of North Petherton.
The Chandos Glass Cone was built in 1725 as a glasswork firing kiln by James Brydges, 1st Duke of Chandos as part of an industrial development.
Other charters were granted by Henry III in 1227 (confirmed in 1318, 1370, 1380), which gave Bridgwater a guild merchant which was important for the regulation of trade, allowing guild members to trade freely in the town, and to impose payments and restrictions upon others. Parliamentary representation as a borough constituency began in 1295 and continued until the Reform Act of 1870, when the original borough constituency was disenfranchised for corruption.
From 4 July 1870 the town was incorporated within the county constituency of West Somerset.
Historically, the town had a politically radical tendency.
The Battle of Sedgemoor, where the Monmouth Rebellion was finally crushed in 1685, was fought nearby.